Thursday, March 26, 2009

Yes, there are nice people out there

I have a little story to share.  Last week I went to the local Market Basket to pick up some groceries for the upcoming weekend.  It was a Thursday night and I was pretty tired.  I was trying hard to remember all the things on my list, because I seemed to forget it at home, and was just enjoying some personal time at the grocery store.

Well I got all the things I needed and got in line.  There was a lady in front of me and although it wasn't busy she had a lot of things in her basket.  She joked that she just came and ran in for a few items, and honestly I was just enjoying standing there zoning out.  I told her not to hurry, I was in no rush and she could tell I was tired, and we briefly talked about our kids.  

All my groceries were unloaded on the belt and she was finishing checking out.  I suddenly realized that I didn't have my debit card on me, and I didn't have enough money to buy everything I needed.  Those are the moments I break out into a sweat and get very embarrassed.  Kevin said I shouldn't worry about those times, they have people that will put the food back, but I was flustered.  Well the lady in front of me said that she would pay for my groceries and I could send her a check.  I almost cried on the spot, and couldn't thank her enough.  She gave me her address and that night I wrote out the check and sent her a little thank you card.  I received one back from her today and she said that she cried knowing that it meant a lot to me and gave me some words of encouragement.  So God does put you in the right grocery lines and lets you have special connections with total strangers at times.  I hope that in the future I can help whoever God puts me in contact with in the grocery store, you never know what will happen.  

4 comments:

Jamison Family said...

what a great story!

One Picky Family said...

that's making me cry, girl

Abbey said...

That is awesome. I cried too reading it.

Shelley said...

Wow Morgan. What an awesome reminder of the good that is in people. It truely brought tears to my eyes.