Friday, September 12, 2008

The Perfect Storm

     May I share a mortifying moment as a mother?  It is Friday, and usually on Friday's I feel free to do new things and just go out and have fun with the kids.  I took them to a family farm, we saw goats, played in hay, and bought some apples and home made donuts.  On our way to the farm I drove past a cute little bakery, and I love cute little bakeries.  I have driven by it a few times before, but because it was Friday I decided to drop in and see what they had.  I even saved some money and calories for the stop.  
   Well the kids were a little tired, so I had Rachel in my arms and tried to keep Daniel by my side.  It was a small bakery and I watched the bake take some freshly made pastries out of the oven while I looked around.  Daniel's nose was in the display case as we looked at what cookie to buy, fingerprints all over the glass.  I decided on two cookies when the kids acted up.  
Daniel ran behind the counter towards the oven, and I quickly grabbed him.  I mumbled my apologies and asked for an oatmeal and sugar cookie.  I went to grab the money from my pocket and it fell out onto the ground.  I got Daniel to sit in a chair in front of the display window, and tried to set Rachel down to pick up the money.  Rachel was in on it, and she arched her back and wouldn't let me put her down.  The baker came around to help me pick up the money when we heard a loud crash.  Daniel had dropped a glass dish at the display and it shattered all over the ground.  I offered to pay for it, but at that time I think the lady just wanted me out of the store.  We left eating our cookies and I am wondering if I should ever really go back to that store again.  I will check that thought to be bold and try something new on a Friday in the future.  

In the mean time Rachel took her first few steps yesterday, and I am very excited, or should I be a little bit scared?  I will get it on video and post it soon.  Now it is time for me to nap, or at least try to get the kids to nap.  

1 comment:

Muddy Mama said...

OH man....we all have our moments, huh? Maybe the lady felt bad and didn't know what to say. You're a brave mom to take your kids out, and in the long run it's better for everyone (at least that's what I tell myself......). One day we will look back and laugh, right?!